Bartlesville is well positioned to leverage its local expertise in specialized energy-related research & development with the growing demand by government and private industry for technical/environmental consultation, interpretation and analysis. This industry lends itself well to self-employed entrepreneurs who can capitalize on skills developed within previous corporate employment.
Major Activities and Services
Provide advice to businesses and governments on environmental issues, such as the control of environmental contamination from pollutants, toxic substances and hazardous materials. Identify problems, measure and evaluate risks and recommend solutions. Provide advice and assistance to businesses and other organizations on scientific and technical issues. Gather, interpret, and map geophysical data. Locate and measure the extent of subsurface resources, such as oil, gas, and minerals. Perform physical, chemical and other analytical testing services for commercial purposes. Much of the testing in this sector involves the maintenance of environmental, industrial and product standards and government regulations.
- High local industry and occupational specialization
- Unique energy industry network/cluster
- Presence of ConocoPhillips research & development operations.
- Petroleum & Chemical Engineering Programs at University of Tulsa, University of Oklahoma Norman Campus, and Oklahoma State University-Main Campus
- Applied Technology program at Rogers State University
- Business incubator at Tri-County Technology Center for entrepreneurial development
Technical/Environmental Services - U.S. Overview
|Industry||NAICS Code||2010 National Employment||5-Year Projected Change||National Earnings per Worker|
|Environmental consulting services||54162||164,944||21%||$55,511|
|Scientific research & development services||5417||694,456||13%||$106,884|
|Geophysical surveying & mapping services||54136||23,498||21%||$68,264|
|Laboratory testing services||54138||152,641||7%||$73,457|
Source: Economic Modeling Specialists, Inc.